- Healthier is wealthier: “We find that the intervention [to prevent heart disease] significantly increased earnings by 3 percent and family income by 4 percent with no concurrent effect on labor force participation.”
- Can Public Choice explain why health care has been relatively unaffected by inflation? Speculative.
- Your health data might be for sale.
- After learning that McKinsey urged Purdue to “turbocharge” sales of OxyContin (widely blamed for the opioid crisis), we now learn that it has been urging Endo to aggressively market a painkiller that is twice as potent.
- NY Health Department advises users to consume fentanyl “safely.”
Danilo Manimtim and his wife Marilou both had cataract surgery in Fresno, California in late 2021 and early 2022, respectively. Manimtim, a retired orthopedic surgeon, calculated that since he had met his deductible, his cost-sharing would amount to about $750. He sought care at an outpatient department of a local hospital. As I’ve often said, if you are physically capable of walking, never, ever seek any kind of care at a hospital. Manimtim failed to realize that his health plan, the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) health plan, uses an innovative system known as reference pricing. Anthem Blue Cross managed the plan for CalPERS.
An article in the San Francisco Chronical that was republished in Kaiser Heath News looked at tech firms that monitor chronic conditions remotely. The firms offer both digital or human health coaches to help patients better manage their care. There are approximately 50 different firms designed to help patients adhere to treatment programs or deal with chronic conditions.
A survey found that nearly 90% of doctors believe barriers erected by health insurance plans have negatively impacted patient care. The survey also found that doctors are so fed up that two-thirds would not recommend a career in medicine while nearly half (48%) are considering leaving medicine for another career. The survey was 600 physicians with practices in primary care.