A Chicago physician took a nasty spill while skiing in Wisconsin, resulting in a trip to the emergency room on New Years Day. Then came the bill, which was a nasty surprise. The $10,563.49 in initial ER charges from a Froedtert South hospital in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, seemed high considering he basically got only an exam,…
I’ve told this story a million times. A few years ago my wife saw her doctor for a recurring problem. It was something so common her doctor should have known off the top of her head what the problem was. Instead, her doctor strung my wife along for numerous appointments and tests. Perhaps it was…
- Will a Republican House of Representatives impeach Joe Biden?
- For missile defense. HT: Tyler
- How China could take Taiwan – beginning with a blockade – and get into a war with the US?
- The average cost of family coverage in employer plans: $22,463.
- Gender affirming care: In 2021, around 42,000 kids between 6 and 17 were diagnosed with gender dysphoria. At most, around 7,000 a year initiate some kind of potentially irreversible process. This comes out to about 1 in 7,000 kids.
- As many as 43,000 American die every year because they can’t find a kidney donor. One reason: in 1984 Congress passed the National Organ Transplant Act, which banned the sale of organs.
- Bill Barr: 1% of the population commits between one-half and two-thirds of predatory violent crime. (WSJ)
- John Cochrane on Liz Truss: She had good ideas, but mismanaged the marketing and the politics.
- Politicizing science: The leading journal Nature Human Behaviour has effectively announced that it will not publish studies that show the wrong kind of differences between human groups.
- Medicare Advantage Star Ratings: Are too many plans above average?
- Lessons from the lockdown: Charter schools and Catholic schools did better than public schools. (WSJ)
- Between December 2020 and mid-May 2022, the U.S. wasted 82.1 million doses of Covid vaccine. (WSJ)