- Covid lockdown measures worldwide reduced the seismic noise of the planet by up to 50 percent.
- Canadian study: for roughly half the population, drinking coffee increases the risk of kidney dysfunction.
- The federal government is now required to engage in explicitly racist hiring.
- David Henderson: The “1619 Project” on Hula vindicates Capitalism (WSJ)
- The generic drug market isn’t as competitive as we thought.
- Digital health: The share of U.S. adults who said they use health applications has grown 6 percentage points to 40% since December 2018, while the share of adults who said they use wearables has grown by 8 points to 35%.
Category: Drug Prices & Regulations
- Covid infection creates immunity at least equal to two doses of mRNA vaccine, according to a meta-analysis of 65 studies from 19 countries.
- Why did it take two decades for a generic competitor for the nation’s leading (and costly) arthritis drug to become avaible to consumers?
- Benefit of placebos: “taking a sugar pill can be beneficial even when you know it’s a sugar pill.” (WSJ)
- Why can’t we have one-stop-shopping for safety net benefits for the poor, instead of multiple siloed benefits?
- Study: 76% of homeless people in high-income countries suffer from a mental disorder, with substance use disorders and schizophrenia being the most common. HT: Arnold Kling
- In Utah, it is legal to forcibly sterilize a person with a disability.
More Americans Delay Care Due to Cost
It’s no mystery that Americans are paying a bigger share of their medical bills out-of-pocket these days. Health plan deductibles have about doubled in the past two decades. My 2023 health plan deductible is nearly $9,000. Some family plans have combined deductibles of $15,000. High deductibles are causing more Americans to delay medical care according to The New York Times.
- CBO: Social Security and Medicare to become insolvent in the next 10 years.
- Disappointing discovery: ChatGPT is politically biased.
- FDA Commissioner Robert Califf: Low Generic Prices Can Lead to Drug Shortages. (InsideHealthPolicy – gated)
- Florida Surgeon General issues an alert on adverse events connected to Covid vaccines.
- Reasons to have more sex: it reduces pain, relieves stress, improves sleep, lowers blood pressure and strengthens heart health. (NYT)