The prices various health care payers negotiate for joint replacement has no relation to the quality of care, a new study found. Total joint replacement – mainly hips and knees – are the most common reasons for hospitalization for people over 65. The number of joint replacements are expected to rise as 73 million Baby Boomers succumb to old age.
Private equity investors have been buying up thousands of health care businesses across the country. This includes everything from dermatology practices, to gastroenterology, to air ambulance services. If you seek care at an emergency room, there is a good chance that you will be treated by a physician employed by a staffing firm backed by private equity. Physicians…
- Evidence against The Great Barrington Declaration’s idea of focused protection.
- The feds are cracking down on Medicare Advantage plans.
- CDC: Flu season appears to be normal, despite the media hype.
- CTUP study: Government payments and free health care benefits can pay more than the annual equivalent of a $100,000 job in three states, and the equivalent of an $80,000 a year job in 13 states.
- Man harassed by collection agencies over an unpaid $2.57 hospital bill.
- Socialized medicine in Oregon: Measure 111 amends the state constitution to establish “the obligation of the state to ensure that every resident of Oregon has access to cost-effective, clinically appropriate and affordable health care as a fundamental right.” (WSJ)
- How colleges deceive students about the real cost of their enrollment.
- Paul Ryan’s plan to save America’s finances. Social Security reform is bold. Health care reforms are Meh.